17 Oct Who Are the Chapter 7 Panel Trustees in the Northern District of Georgia?
There are 28 individuals on the Chapter 7 panel in the Northern District of Georgia. Several of these trustees are assigned cases only in the divisional offices – Rome, Gainesville or Newnan.
The Atlanta trustees typically appear on two to six hearing calendars a month. All but one of the Northern District panel trustees are attorneys.
Unlike the Northern District of Georgia Chapter 13 trustees, the Chapter 7 panel trustees handle trustee duties on a part time basis. All of the Chapter 7 trustees on the Northern District panel maintain their own law practices or businesses.
Chapter 7 cases are classified as either “asset cases” or “no asset cases.” An “asset” case is one in which the trustee identifies non-exempt real or personal property that he can sell for the benefit of the bankruptcy estate. In a “no asset” case there are no assets for the trustee to administer.
In no asset cases, the trustee is paid a flat fee of $60. If the Chapter 7 trustee can identify assets to liquidate he is paid a percentage of the assets distributed to creditors. You can read more about Chapter 7 trustees at the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees website.
Jonathan Ginsberg, Esq.
Latest posts by Jonathan Ginsberg, Esq. (see all)
- Can I File Chapter 13 if I am Self Employed? - March 5, 2019
- Why I will be Rude to You After You File Chapter 13 - October 6, 2018
- Why Nothing Good Comes from Pro Se Bankruptcy Filings - June 6, 2018
- How Cognitive Biases Can Drive You Into Bankruptcy - April 9, 2018
- Are We Seeing a Return to Debtors’ Prisons? - March 6, 2018