27 Apr U.S. Supreme Court to Hear Bankruptcy Exemption Issue
The U.S. Supreme Court accepted a case for review with two bankruptcy exemption issues: 1) When a debtor exempts property as his own and places a value on it in his bankruptcy paperwork, is he limited to that dollar amount or is the asset fully exempt? 2) Is there an exception to the 30-day deadline for objections to the exemption by the bankruptcy trustee? See Schwab v Reilly, No. 08-538.
The Supreme Court reviews about 80-100 cases per year out of 15,000 requests.
Latest posts by Jill Michaux (see all)
- Last Day to Comment on New Chapter 13 Plan, Petition, Schedules, Means Test, Bankruptcy Rules Changes - February 17, 2014
- Does Chapter 13 Mean Paying All Creditors Back? It Could Be Zero to Unsecured Claims - June 18, 2013
- Random Bankruptcy Audits Stopped - April 24, 2013
- What’s Baseball Got to Do with Bankruptcy? - March 31, 2013
- Bankruptcy Code Dollar Figures Raised 6.3% for Inflation - February 21, 2013