11 Nov Top 5 End of Year Tips to Save Money
1. Eat at home. Dining out is expensive and should be reserved for special occasions. Like when you have money leftover at the end of the month.
2. Brown bag your lunch. Try this experiment. The next time you are grocery shopping, plan your lunches. Buy the ingredients to assemble a week’s worth of meals. If you like burgers, pick up a pack of ground beef, some buns. Add bacon, lettuce, pickles and cheese, as you like. Get enough to make 5 sandwiches and calculate the cost per sandwich. A third pound burger with the works should come in around $2. Add a bag of chips and a drink for under $3.50. Vary the menu, with pork, chicken, stews and soup, or a healthy bowl of fruit and vegetables. Freeze and microwave as needed. If you ever ate a pre-packaged sandwich from a vending machine of convenience gas station, you will savor your home made meal.
3. Cancel newspaper subscriptions and read the paper online, except for the weekly coupon edition.
4. Read a good book, at the library. Do not pay $25 for a hardback. Check out a book and a movie from your local library, for free.
5. Take a look at your phone bill. Cancel exotic services like call forwarding, call waiting and three-way calling. You can only talk to one person at a time, so dump these unnecessary services. Consider eliminating the land line and rely on your cell phone. Remember, only one call at a time.
6. Start the day off with a cup of joe, made at home and carried in one of those many thermal mugs you have stashed in your cabinet. Can you really afford a $5 cup of warm milk coffee 30 times a month?
See, you already received 6 tips for the price of 5. Keep up the good work.
Andy Miofsky, Esq.
Latest posts by Andy Miofsky, Esq. (see all)
- Social Security Income: Invisible Money Bankruptcy Cannot Touch. - December 19, 2016
- What can and cannot be included on a credit report? - December 21, 2015
- Use Exemptions to Protect Your Property in Bankruptcy - January 20, 2014
- A profile of the typical person who files bankruptcy - January 13, 2014
- Amended Bankruptcy Rule 1007 changes Form 23 debtor education filing requirement. - January 7, 2014