15 Apr Lawsuits and Bankruptcy
Repeat after me: “Bankruptcy stops collection lawsuits. Bankruptcy stops collection judgments.” Now, go write this on the blackboard 100 times.
Bankruptcy is a federal right, direct from the U.S. Constitution. Collection lawsuits are state law and they lose out to the superior federal law.
If anyone tells you otherwise, please PLEASE immediately write down all details of the call and contact your attorney. The false statement violates collection laws and can put money in your pocket.
Latest posts by L. Jed Berliner, Western & Central Massachusetts Consumer Lawyer (see all)
- Attorney-Client Privilege, Work Product, in Bankruptcy - July 27, 2013
- Massachusetts Homesteads Cannot Be Attached - May 27, 2013
- Trustee Sells Home If Defective Mortgage - March 27, 2013
- Unlisted Debts Are Not Discharged in First Circuit - February 27, 2013
- Helpful Bankruptcy Videos - January 27, 2013