11 Dec Get Your Money Back from Debt Settlement Scam Artists
Lately, my clients have been successful getting a refund of their money paid to illegal debt settlement companies. In the past, requests for refunds to these mostly out-of-state operators were ignored.
The key to our success, I suspect, is changing my demand letter to include a report to the Office of the Kansas Bank Commissioner. It is illegal to engage in debt management services with a Kansas consumer unless you are a Kansas attorney or an approved creditor services organization.
Getting money back from this ill-advised attempt to pay debts can be welcome relief for my clients to get caught up on necessities and it is a way to pay for their bankruptcy fees. Frequently, the debt settlement plan is not affordable, but since funded by automatic withdrawal from the bank account, it causes a shortage of funds for housing, transportation and food.
Latest posts by Jill Michaux (see all)
- Last Day to Comment on New Chapter 13 Plan, Petition, Schedules, Means Test, Bankruptcy Rules Changes - February 17, 2014
- Does Chapter 13 Mean Paying All Creditors Back? It Could Be Zero to Unsecured Claims - June 18, 2013
- Random Bankruptcy Audits Stopped - April 24, 2013
- What’s Baseball Got to Do with Bankruptcy? - March 31, 2013
- Bankruptcy Code Dollar Figures Raised 6.3% for Inflation - February 21, 2013