Disputing Credit Reports

03 Mar Disputing Credit Reports

If you have inaccurate information on your credit report, you have the right to have it corrected. The key point, however, is that you must make your dispute directly to the credit reporting agencies and not to the creditor that is reporting the information. There is a dispute procedure in the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 U.S.C. 1681i, that requires a credit reporting agency to forward your dispute to the creditor. The creditor then has the duty to conduct a reasonable investigation. See 15 U.S.C. 1681s-2(b). If you send your dispute directly to the creditor, you will have no legal recourse if they do not correct the false item.

Here are the dispute addresses for the big three credit reporting agencies:

Equifax Information Services LLC
P.O. BOX 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374

701 Experian Pkwy
Allen, TX 75013

P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022

These addresses were good as of today (March 3, 2007), but they may change in the future. Identify yourself (including social security number and date of birth) in your letter, explain your dispute in detail, provide all supporting documentation (for example, a police reports in an identity theft case), and send your letters certified mail return receipt requested. Make sure to keep a copy of the letter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The following two tabs change content below.

Nicholas Ortiz, Boston Bankruptcy Attorney

From Attorney Ortiz: We have been helping consumers and small businesses in Massachusetts successfully navigate through the bankruptcy process since 2002. We offer free initial consultations and payment plans. Call us at 617-716-0282 to discuss your debt relief options. Mention the Bankruptcy Law Network when you call!

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.