04 Oct If I Was Overpaid Unemployment Benefits And The State Wants Me To Pay It Back! Will Bankruptcy Help?

I was watching the news recently and it caught my attention thatthe State of North Carolinasays that it had paidlots of people more than it should have inunemployment benefits. Because of this,the State will seek to recover the amount that it claims it overpaid.See article...

Read More

27 Feb Why Should Consumers Not Use Refund Anticipation Loans?

We are a modern society...we want it now, we want it quick, we don't like to wait. Tax preparers know this. Over the years, some tax preparation agencies have offered a refund anticipation loan (RAL) or to put a consumer's refund on a plastic card that is similar to a debit card. The fees for preparing the tax return can be paid with that RAL or deducted from the plastic card -- no money out of pocket for the unwary taxpayer. Why would this be a bad idea?
Read More

31 Jan Will the Chapter 13 Trustee Allow Me to Modify My Mortgage If I Can Get the Mortgage Company to Offer One?

If you are lucky enough to get your mortgage company to offer a meaningful modification of your mortgage while you are in a Chapter 13, you probably can get the Trustee and the Court to agree to allow it. There are a number of issues, however, that need to be addressed. Before modifying your mortgage you will need to inform your attorney that your mortgage company is willing to entertain a modification. You will also need to present your attorney with the details of the proposed modification. Your attorney will then get the needed permission from the Trustee and/or the Court. One of the concerns the Trustee and Court may have is how the modification will affect the amount of disposable income you have each month.
Read More