04 Apr Bankruptcy: What Do I Do at My Meeting of Creditors?
After filing for bankruptcy, you will meet with a trustee. Be prepared. There is a way to act and not to act at a meeting of creditors.These tips will help you know what to do.
Here’s what to do at your 341 bankruptcy meeting with the trustee.
- Be on time
- Dress reasonably – not too sharp but not sloppy either
- Be neat and clean
- Bring your social security card
- Bring your driver’s license or other government issued photo identification – a passport is ok, too
- Bring any papers or documents your trustee requests from you
- Be prepared for questions which will be answered
- Answer the questions asked
- Meet with your lawyer in advance of the meeting and prepare
Here are some things not to do at your bankruptcy meeting with the trustee.
- Don’t wear flashy clothing or jewelry – but remember, your rings will leave a mark where youusually wear them
- Women, don’t wear revealing clothing
- Men and women – keep the perfume andcologne to a minimum
- Don’t bring your children
- Don’t answer questions not asked
- Don’t ramble
Here are some questions which your bankruptcy trustee will ask:
- Did you review your bankruptcy petition and papers
- Did you list all of your assets and all of your debts
- Are there any things which need to be changed
- Where do you live?
- Are you employed?
- Do you own any real estate any place?
- Do you have any claims against anybody? Any lawsuits? Any rights to a tax refund? Any other payments?
Be sure that your bankruptcy papers haven’t left out anything. That includes dealings with family members. That includes money or property you have kept in your house or under your bed or anyplace else.
Tell the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth. If you do, your bankruptcy meeting will go smoothly and you’ll be on your way to your bankruptcy discharge.
Latest posts by Jay Fleischman, Esq. (see all)
- 5 Things You Need To Know About Bankruptcy Exemptions Before Your Case Is Filed - August 28, 2013
- Beware Of This Person When Trying To Wipe Out A Second Mortgage In Chapter 13 - August 26, 2013
- Our Best Tips For Filing For Bankruptcy Without Your Spouse - August 22, 2013
- 5 Ways To Celebrate Financial Literacy Month - March 31, 2013
- Burning Money With Handcuffs On - March 21, 2013