24 Jan Bankruptcy and Life Changing Events
Bankruptcy is often accompanied by other life changing events. These can be anything from the loss of a job or business to a divorce. Sometimes you are warned as to what is going to happen and sometimes you donâ€™t. When you do know whatâ€™s going on, the timing of filing for bankruptcy can be critical.
Here are a half dozen of these events, often accompanied by filing bankruptcy:
2. Loss of a Business;
3. Foreclosure of your home;
4. Being sued;
5. Emergency medical treatment;
6. Death of a family member.
For each of the above, the timing of when (or if) you file bankruptcy depends on you. And in each case it might be better to file early in the process or to wait until later. The decision can be quite tricky but critical as to what kind of bankruptcy you file, what debts are discharged and even whether you should file at all or look for an alternative to resolving the debts.
If you are faced with any of these situations (or a similar crisis) in your life, seek the help of a competent bankruptcy attorney. Their training and knowledge can guide you to make the appropriate decisions for your situation.
Latest posts by Douglas Jacobs, Esq. (see all)
- STUFF YOU KEEP IN BANKRUPTCY - January 31, 2016
- Bankruptcy And The Elderly - April 11, 2014
- Four Steps to a Successful Chapter 7 bankruptcy - March 11, 2014
- Thinking About Filing Bankruptcy? Now Might be the Right Time. - February 11, 2014
- The Debt and the Lien: Two Completely Different Problems - January 11, 2014