06 Jul 2009 Bankruptcy Filings Up
According to a July 2, 2009 Bloomberg report, there were 675,351 consumer bankruptcy filings in the first half of 2009, a 36.5 percent increase over 2008 numbers. June consumer filings totaled 116,365, up 40.6 percent from the same period in 2008. The monthly rate of consumer filings slowed, however, declining by 6.8 percent from May 2009.
Numbers are expected to increase, with 1.4 million new bankruptcy filings by year end.
Latest posts by Brett Weiss, Esq. (see all)
- Student Loans and the Elderly: How to Stop Student Loan Collectors and Social Security Garnishment - October 15, 2017
- Sears, Payless and the Future of Retail - March 23, 2017
- Judge Neil Gorsuch on Bankruptcy - February 24, 2017
- Filing for Bankruptcy Without a Lawyer - January 3, 2017
- Monthly Statements in Chapter 13 Cases - December 16, 2016