The bankruptcy trustee cannot take Social Security disability payments and Veterans Administration benefits.
Private disability insurance payments are exempt under Kansas law and federal bankruptcy law. Compensation paid for work injuries is also exempt in Kansas.
If you have a claim pending for any disability benefits you should list the claim as an asset in your bankruptcy schedules and discuss with your attorney whether you can exempt the pending claim and any money you maybe paid for future benefits or back pay. You should not cash any disability checks without direction from your bankruptcy attorney.
Latest posts by Jill Michaux (see all)
- Last Day to Comment on New Chapter 13 Plan, Petition, Schedules, Means Test, Bankruptcy Rules Changes - February 17, 2014
- Does Chapter 13 Mean Paying All Creditors Back? It Could Be Zero to Unsecured Claims - June 18, 2013
- Random Bankruptcy Audits Stopped - April 24, 2013
- What’s Baseball Got to Do with Bankruptcy? - March 31, 2013
- Bankruptcy Code Dollar Figures Raised 6.3% for Inflation - February 21, 2013
Last modified: November 3, 2007