24 May Which Credit Counseling Course Should I Choose?
As of October 17, 2005, each debtor filing a new voluntary bankruptcy case must comply with Section 109 describing who may be a debtor.
Commonly known as the credit counseling requirement, this section requires that a debtor must have received a briefing, from an approved agency, that outlined the opportunities for credit counseling and assisted the individual in performing a related budget analysis before the debtor files bankruptcy.
Over the past year and half, I have become familiar with two such agencies, each approved to provide the required counseling program. These agencies are:
Institute for Financial Literacy, Inc.
Hummingbird Credit Counseling and Education, Inc.
Both agencies offer convenient internet or toll-free telephone service. My clients have satisfactorily completed programs with both companies.
Andy Miofsky, Esq.
Latest posts by Andy Miofsky, Esq. (see all)
- Social Security Income: Invisible Money Bankruptcy Cannot Touch. - December 19, 2016
- What can and cannot be included on a credit report? - December 21, 2015
- Use Exemptions to Protect Your Property in Bankruptcy - January 20, 2014
- A profile of the typical person who files bankruptcy - January 13, 2014
- Amended Bankruptcy Rule 1007 changes Form 23 debtor education filing requirement. - January 7, 2014