25 Jul How Do You Find An Old W-2 To File A Missing Tax Return?
BAPCPA changes now require the filing of missing tax returns. For debtors without adequate records, this can be a problem.
The IRS retains income reporting documentation and federal withholding records on their computer system for six years and can provide transcripts to an authorized representative through its practitioner priority service.
The IRS does not keep a record of any state withholding. In states with an income tax, like Oregon and California, this leaves an information gap when preparing delinquent returns. How can that information be retrieved?
The Social Security Administration retains W-2 records and will produce them for a $30 fee for each year requested. The records can be obtained by sending an IRS form 4506 (request for transcript or tax form) together with the appropriate fee to:
Social Security Administration
Office of Central Operations Division of Earnings Records Operations
P.O. Box 33003
Baltimore, MD 21290-3003
Latest posts by Kent Anderson, Esq. (see all)
- Who gets the diamond when bankruptcy is filed? - January 19, 2017
- What is a Medical Bankruptcy? - April 2, 2016
- Tax Refunds in Bankruptcy - January 17, 2016
- Federal Bankruptcy Exemptions Now Available in Oregon - July 17, 2013
- Bankruptcy and Home Loan Foreclosure in Oregon - June 17, 2013