I Got Foreclosure Papers In Mail – What Do I Do?

31 Mar I Got Foreclosure Papers In Mail – What Do I Do?

When you go into foreclosure in New York, the mortgage company must serve you with a Summons and Complaint. That does not, however, mean you need to be served by a police officer or sent a certified letter.

In fact, in New York you can be served personally (in other words, someone hands you the papers just like on TV or in the movies) or by something called “substitute service.”

In other words, if the bank can’t reach you directly they can serve you by tacking a copy of the papers to your door or giving them to someone at your home or place of business. When they do this, they must also mail you a copy.

Regular mail, nothing special.

But once you get the papers, you wonder:

I Got Foreclosure Papers In Mail – What Do I Do?

The answer’s simple, really. Pick up the phone and start looking for a foreclosure defense lawyer or a lawyer who can advise you of your options (including bankruptcy as a way to stop the foreclosure and cure the past due amount).

Don’t wait until tomorrow or next week. Start dialling right now. You get a limited amount of time to file an Answer or counterclaim, and your lawyer is going to need every minute of that time.

Wait just a day too long and you’ll find your options limited. Get there on time, and you just may save your home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The following two tabs change content below.
Jay S. Fleischman is a bankruptcy lawyer with offices in Los Angeles and New York. He can often be found on Google+ and Twitter, where he shares information about consumer protection issues and personal finance.
No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.