17 Jun How Much Does It Cost To Reopen A Case To File The Financial Management Certificate?
In Will Anyone Remind Me To Take A Financial Management Course?, we learned that if a debtor fails to timely file the course certificate, the Court will close a bankruptcy case without discharging the debt. This occurs even if the debtor completes the course before the deadline. The statute requires debtor file the certificate, not merely complete the course.
In order to obtain a discharge after a case is closed, debtor must first pay a Court fee to reopen the case. In chapter 7 cases, the fee is $260. In chapter 13 cases, the fee is $235. If debtor is represented, the attorney may charge additional attorney fees for this work. Debtors should promptly obtain the required counseling in order to avoid incurring these expenses.
Andy Miofsky, Esq.
Latest posts by Andy Miofsky, Esq. (see all)
- Social Security Income: Invisible Money Bankruptcy Cannot Touch. - December 19, 2016
- What can and cannot be included on a credit report? - December 21, 2015
- Use Exemptions to Protect Your Property in Bankruptcy - January 20, 2014
- A profile of the typical person who files bankruptcy - January 13, 2014
- Amended Bankruptcy Rule 1007 changes Form 23 debtor education filing requirement. - January 7, 2014