Help! A Bankrupt Company Owes Me Money!

07 Nov Help! A Bankrupt Company Owes Me Money!

Bankruptcy! You are owed money, and you just found out that the company filed forbankruptcy. If you are a consumer who is owed money by a bankrupt company, you may receive aProof of Claimfrom the bankruptcy court.You should contact an experiencedattorney for assistance in completing and filing the Proof of Claim form, which may be done online. You may get a form in the mail, or if you want a paper form you can get it here: Officialform.An attorney should be able to advise you of your rights. If you are unable to retain an attorney, the following pointers may help you in filing your claim.

The form may appear intimidating at first glance. Start off by reading the Instructions that came with it. This will help you understand the terminology used in the form. Next, complete it to the best of your ability. Take your time and read each section carefully. Refer back to the definitions on the Instructions page if you get confused. You should include as much detail as possible. Assemble, copy, and attach any and all documents that show the company owes the debt you are claiming they owe. If these documents are not available, you must attach an explanation of why they are not available. Finally, make two copies of the claim, with your attachments. File the original and one copy with the Clerk of Court for the Bankruptcy Court that sent you the Proof of Claim form. Typically, you will find this address somewhere in the instructions on the form oryou can file it online. If not, you can find the address of the court by visiting

If you mail in the form, be sure to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope so the court can return a date-stamped copy of the Proof of Claim to you.

Typically, there is a deadline for filing your Claim, so do not wait. If you miss the deadline, you may not be able to collect anything. Either contact an experienced bankruptcy attorney or complete the form and file it immediately.

See also:American Shingle Files Chapter 7 Bankruptcyand American Shingle Bankruptcy Part Twofor a description on what to do when a company goes bankrupt, and

Employees may want to read other articles on the Bankruptcy Law Network such as:

My Employer is in Bankruptcy, Can I Still Sue Them?

My Employer Filed Bankruptcy! What Do I Do?

My employer is in bankruptcy – what happens to my health insurance?

My employer is in bankruptcy – what happens to my pension?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The following two tabs change content below.

Bankruptcy Law Network (BLN)

  • Hannelore Morrison
    Posted at 11:18h, 17 May

    My ex-employer filed bankruptcy in the state of Texas. I have not recieved my final settlement yet, but I was just contacted by a “head hunter” who is willing to help me get it for a 25% fee. My ex co-workers received their checks a year ago, but I had moved. How do I find out where to get my check?