31 May Foreclosure Process In New York
The foreclosure process in New York is a long one, requiring a case to wind through the court system before reaching conclusion. The case can take anywhere from 8 months to nearly a full year, depending upon the individual court. Some courts are quicker, some are slower.
It is important to remember, however, that in New York you must file an Answer to a foreclosure Complaint within 20 days of the date on which you were served (if you received the Complaint personally). This means you don’t have a lot of time to assess your options and locate a lawyer to help you.
Many people make the mistake of trying to work out a deal with the mortgage bank rather than filing an Answer. Why is this a mistake? Because a phone call doesn’t protect your rights.
So if you’re served with a foreclosure Complaint, find a lawyer to help defend the foreclosure immediately. You can continue to work informally with the mortgage lender during the foreclosure, but it can’t be your only move.
Latest posts by Jay Fleischman, Esq. (see all)
- 5 Things You Need To Know About Bankruptcy Exemptions Before Your Case Is Filed - August 28, 2013
- Beware Of This Person When Trying To Wipe Out A Second Mortgage In Chapter 13 - August 26, 2013
- Our Best Tips For Filing For Bankruptcy Without Your Spouse - August 22, 2013
- 5 Ways To Celebrate Financial Literacy Month - March 31, 2013
- Burning Money With Handcuffs On - March 21, 2013