11 Aug Can I Keep My CD If I File For Bankruptcy?
Is your Certificate of Deposit protected if you file a bankruptcy case? Maybe. What else do you have, and are you using the federal or a state’s list of exemptions (protected assets)?
The federal list has special protected values for special assets, not including cd’s. It also has a wild card exemption, which you can apply to anything, of $1,075.00 per filer $2,150 if married) plus up to $10,125 per filer of the unused home equity protection.
There’s only a $500.00 protection per filer in Massachusetts for all bank accounts, including CDs.
Latest posts by L. Jed Berliner, Western & Central Massachusetts Consumer Lawyer (see all)
- Attorney-Client Privilege, Work Product, in Bankruptcy - July 27, 2013
- Massachusetts Homesteads Cannot Be Attached - May 27, 2013
- Trustee Sells Home If Defective Mortgage - March 27, 2013
- Unlisted Debts Are Not Discharged in First Circuit - February 27, 2013
- Helpful Bankruptcy Videos - January 27, 2013