12 Dec Can I Buy A New Car While I Am In Chapter 13 Bankruptcy?
Because of the fact that a Chapter 13 bankruptcy will normally take 36 months to 60 months to complete, it is a common occurrence that a debtor’s car will need to be replaced during the life of the Chapter 13 Plan.
Generally speaking (and assuming you qualify for a car loan) the Court will approve the purchase of a vehicle to replace a used vehicle during a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
A motion will need to be filed with the bankruptcy court seeking permission to purchase the vehicle, so do not sign any agreements to purchase a new vehicle without first getting the Court’s permission.
Latest posts by Kevin Gipson, New Orleans Bankruptcy Attorney (see all)
- The Reverse Mortgage. What You Need To Know! - April 24, 2016
- Payday Loans: Myths and Facts! - February 21, 2016
- Medical Credit Cards: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly - October 14, 2013
- Will Obamacare Reduce Bankruptcy Filings? - October 1, 2013
- How A Government Shutdown Will Affect Bankruptcy Courts - September 28, 2013