31 May A merchant in Texas cannot charge you extra if you pay by credit card
In Texas, a business can not penalize you for paying with a credit card. Businesses that add a surcharge to those who pay by credit card might be violating provisions of the Texas Finance Code.
However, businesses can discount the regular retail price of an item for consumers who pay cash. If you believe a business is charging extra for credit card purchases, please a file a consumer complaint with our office.
Credit card fees can be charged by government entities, such as for the payment of property taxes or other fees required by government agencies.
Latest posts by Jay Fleischman, Esq. (see all)
- 5 Things You Need To Know About Bankruptcy Exemptions Before Your Case Is Filed - August 28, 2013
- Beware Of This Person When Trying To Wipe Out A Second Mortgage In Chapter 13 - August 26, 2013
- Our Best Tips For Filing For Bankruptcy Without Your Spouse - August 22, 2013
- 5 Ways To Celebrate Financial Literacy Month - March 31, 2013
- Burning Money With Handcuffs On - March 21, 2013