11 Nov 2010 Bankruptcy Filings Up 14%
According to the 2010 Fiscal Year statistics from the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts, the number of bankruptcies filed between October 1, 2009 and September 30, 2010 increased from 1,402,816 to 1,596,355, an increase of 13.8%.
Chapter 11 (business and large individual) filings decreased, from 14,745 to 14,191, a 3.8% drop. Business filings overall also went down, from 58,721 last year to 58,322 this year, a 0.7% decrease.
Non-business filings went up under all other chapters of the Bankruptcy Code, rising from 1,344,095 to 1,538,033, or 14.4%.
The full set of statistics may be found at: http://www.uscourts.gov/News/NewsView/10-11-08/Bankruptcy_Filings_Up_Nearly_14_Percent_over_Last_Fiscal_Year.aspx
Latest posts by Brett Weiss, Esq. (see all)
- Student Loans and the Elderly: How to Stop Student Loan Collectors and Social Security Garnishment - October 15, 2017
- Sears, Payless and the Future of Retail - March 23, 2017
- Judge Neil Gorsuch on Bankruptcy - February 24, 2017
- Filing for Bankruptcy Without a Lawyer - January 3, 2017
- Monthly Statements in Chapter 13 Cases - December 16, 2016